Radiologist, Dartmouth Hitchcock Clinic, Manchester, NH
Steven Birnbaum is a general radiologist specializing in cross-sectional imaging, interventional radiology and breast imaging who has been in general, community practice since 1984 in southern New Hampshire. As a general radiologist, he saw first hand the rapid increase in the utilization of CT with the advent of helical, multidetector CT. In 2005, after his daughter was involved in a serious pedestrian accident, he then saw the potential dangers of profligate use of CT in a family member.
He was moved to action and began educating colleagues and referring providers to the potential dangers involved in unchecked radiation exposure, particularly to young patients. He devised a system for monitoring and limiting repeated CT exposure in younger patients in a community hospital setting with benign chronic conditions. Dr. Birnbaum has been the author of 4 single author papers on this topic, given over 50 lectures across the country on various aspects of radiation safety and was a member of the American College of Radiology Blue Ribbon Panel on Radiation Dose in Medicine which produced a White Paper on this topic in 2008. He is currently a staff radiologist at the Dartmouth Hitchcock Clinic in Manchester, New Hampshire.
Dr. Birnbaum's Lectures
Radiation Safety in the ERA of Multidetector Helical CT
- Logerfo, P. Birnbaum, S. et al, "Thyroglobulin and Thyroid Cancer", Cancer Reviews 3: 128-5-129, 1976
- Gale, E., Birnbaum, S. et al, "Esophageal Invasion by Lung Cancer: C.T. Diagnosis", Journal of Computerized Axial Tomography 8: 78-85, 1985.
- Gale, E., Birnbaum, S., et al, "C.T. Appearance of Appendicitis and Its Local Complications", Journal of Computerized Axial Tomography 9: 34-37, 1985.
- Carney, P., Goodrich, M., O'Mahony, D., Tosteson, A., Eliassen, M.S., Poplack, S.,Birnbaum, S., et al, "Mammography in New Hampshire: Characteristics of the Women and the Exams They Receive", Journal of Community Health 25: 183-198, 2004.
- Amis, S., Butler, P., Applegate, K., Birnbaum, S., et al, "American College of Radiology White Paper on Radiation Dose in Medicine", Journal of the American College of Radiology 4: 272-284, 2007.
- Birnbaum, S., "Helical CT: Too Much of a Good Thing", British Medical Journal 334: 1006, 2007.
- Birnbaum, S., "Radiation Safety in the Era of Helical CT: A Patient Based Protection Program Currently in Use in Two Community Hospitals in New Hampshire", Journal of the American College of Radiology 5: 714-718, 2008.
- Birnbaum, S., "Radiation Safety in the Era of Helical CT: Protecting Patients from Excessive Radiation Exposure", Seminars in CT, Ultrasound and MRI 31: 46-52, 2010.
- Birnbaum, S., "Counterpoint: Cumulative Dose Estimates Rationally Used Have a Distinct Role in Patient Management and Care", Journal of the American College of Radiology 9: 486-487, 2012.
- Birnbaum, S., "CT Dose Optimization: The General Radiologist's Perspective," Submitted for Publication.