Virtial Symposium Co-Chair
Professor and Vice Chair, Department of Radiology and Biomedical Imaging, University of California San Francisco
Dr. Gould is a Professor and Vice Chair of Radiology for Technology and Capital Projects at the University of California San Francisco. He is a member of the Department's Operations Committee, Safety Committee and Radiation Oversight Committee. He is a member of UCSF Campus Radiation Safety Committee and Radioactive Drug Research Committee. Additionally, Dr. Gould is a member of the Medical Center Radiation Protection Committee. By serving on these Committees, he has been involved in radiation safety issues within the Department of Radiology, the Medical Center and the UCSF Campus. Dr. Gould has been involved in efforts to monitor and minimize radiation exposure to personnel involved in the use and delivery of radiation in clinical and research environments and in efforts to monitor and minimize exposure to patients undergoing an imaging procedure. These efforts have included the development of guidelines and standards for radiation use and quality improvement projects designed to reduce patient dose.
Dr. Gould is also the Director of the Department's Laboratory of Radiologic Informatics, which is responsible for the Department's PACS. In this capacity, he has helped implement methods for recording of patient dose. He is currently involved in a Department project to install a Decision Support system that could potentially decrease patient radiation exposure by reducing unnecessary procedures and providing the referring clinician with alternative imaging methods that do not use ionizing radiation.
Dr. Gould's Lectures
CT Dose Reporting and Tracking
Hardware Developments for CT Dose Reduction
Software Approaches for CT Dose Reduction
Breast and Thyroid Shielding During CT Imaging
- Smith AB, Dillon WP, Lau BC, Gould RG, Verdun FR, Lopez EB, Wintermark M: Successful Implementation of a Radiation Dose Reduction Strategy for CT Protocols. Radiology 2008; 247: 499-506.
- Smith-Bindman R, Lipson j, Marcus R, Kim KP, Mahesh M,Gould R, Berrington de Gonzalez A, Miglioretti DL: Radiation Dose Associated with Common Computed Tomography Examinations and the Associated Lifetime Attributable Risk of Cancer. Arch Intern Med 2009; 169:2078-86.
- Kim S, McClish M, Alhassen F, Seo Y, Shah KS, Gould RG. Phantom experiments on a PSAPD-based compact gamma camera with submillimeter spatial resolution for small animal SPECT. IEEE Trans Nucl Sci. 2010 Oct;57(5):2518-2523.
- Coakley FV, Yeh BM, Gould R, Arenson RL. CT radiation dose: What can you do right now in your practice? American Journal of Roentgenology 2011; 196: 619-25.
- Wang ZJ, Chen KS, Gould R, Coakley FV, Fu Y, Yeh BM. Positive enteric contrast material for abdominal and pelvic CT with automatic exposure control: What is the effect on patient radiation exposure? European J Radiology. 2011 Aug;79(2):e58-62. Epub 2011 Apr 13.
- Fares Alhassen, Haris Kudrolli, Bipin Singh, Sangtaek Kim, Youngho Seo, Robert G. Gould, Vivek V. Nagarkar Depth-of-Interaction Compensation Using a Focused-Cut Scintillator for a Pinhole Gamma Camera. IEEE Trans Nucl Sci.; 2011 Jun 1;58(3):634-638.
- Shepherd TM, Hess CP, Chin CT, Gould RG, Dillon WP: Reducing Radiation Dose During Image-Guided Procedures: Demonstration in Spinal Injections for Pain. American Journal of Neuroradiology; 2011 Nov-Dec;32(10):1776-82. Epub 2011 Sep 15.