President and CEO, American Board of Internal Medicine and the ABIM Foundation
Before taking over leadership at ABIM, Dr. Baron served as Group Director of Seamless Care Models at the CMS Innovation Center, where he led efforts related to Accountable Care Organizations and Primary Care. Prior to his CMS appointment, Dr. Baron practiced general internal medicine and geriatrics at Greenhouse Internists, P.C, a market risk community-based primary care practice. Dr. Baron also served on the Board of the National Quality Forum as well as on the Standards Committee of NCQA. Additionally, Dr. Baron served as Chief Medical Officer of Health Partners, a non-profit Medicaid HMO set up by four teaching hospitals in Philadelphia. He is a Co-Chair of the Public Health - Health Care Collaboration Workgroup (PHHCC) of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and a member of the Commonwealth Fund advisory group on Health Care Delivery System Reform. Dr. Baron received his medical degree from Yale University.
- Baron, RJ. Letter to the Editor New York Times response to "Stop Wasting Doctors' Time" by Danielle Ofri, published 12/29/14 Baron, RJ. Invited Commentary. Not All (Medical) Homes are Built Alike. JAMA Intern Med. 2014;174(8):1358-1359. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2014.2497
- Marcotte, L, Baron RJ. Shifting Motivations: Rethinking Primary Care Physician Incentives In Health IT Implementation. Health Affairs, July 21, 2014 http://healthaffairs.org/blog/2014/07/21/shifting-motivations-rethinking-primary-care-physician-incentives-in-health-it-implementation/
- Sinsky CK, Beasley JW, Simmons GE, Baron RJ. Technology and Policy: Principles for Higher Value Primary Care. Ann Intern Med. 2014;160:727- 728
- Baron RJ, Johnson D. The American Board of Internal Medicine: Evolving Professional Self-Regulation. Ann Intern Med. 2014;161(3):221-223. doi:10.7326/M13-2478
- Edwards ST, Abrams MK, Baron RJ, Berenson RA, Rich EC, Rosenthal G, Rosenthal MB, Landon BE. Structuring Payment to Medical Homes After the Affordable Care Act. J Gen Intern Med Volume 29, Issue 10 (2014), p.1410-1413. DOI: 10.1007/s11606-014-2848-3, April 2014
- Peikes D, Reid R, Day T, Cornwell D, Dale S, Baron R, Brown R, Shapiro R. Staffing Patterns of Primary Care Practices in the Comprehensive Primary Care Initiative. Ann Fam Med. 2014;12(2):142-49