Professor of Radiology, Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Medicine, Director, Radiology Outcomes Research Laboratory, University of California, San Francisco
Rebecca Smith-Bindman is Professor of Radiology, Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Medicine at UCSF. She has expertise in clinical research, epidemiology, health services research and current projects focus on comparative effectiveness of diagnostic testing, and in particular using advanced imaging techniques such as CT and MRI. Her research has focused on evaluating the quality and utilization of imaging tests and she has numerous research papers in high-impact medical journals (JAMA, Annals of Internal Medicine, Radiology, Health Affairs) that have contributed to our understanding of patient outcomes and comparative effectiveness research around diagnostic testing.
She has led several multi-institutional research projects, and has closely mentored numerous medical students, residents, fellows and junior-faculty members over the last 10 years, and her post graduate mentees have come from the departments of radiology, medicine, obstetrics gynecology and reproductive sciences, and emergency medicine. Dr. Smith-Bindman has a five-year NCI sponsored K24 award to allow her the protected time dedicated to mentor junior Investigators. She is the lead investigator of the STONE trial, a fifteen-center randomized controlled comparative-effectiveness trial funded by the Agency for Health Care Research: focused on understanding patient outcomes as they vary by different ways of imaging patients with abdominal pain who are seen in diverse US Emergency Departments.
Dr. Smith-Bindman is the Director of the Radiology Outcomes Research Laboratory at UCSF, and is the Primary Organizer for the Virtual Symposium on Radiation Safety in CT.
Dr. Smith-Bindman's Lectures
Radiation From Medical Imaging: A Hidden Epidemic
UCDOSE Collaborative Project Across the UC Medical Centers
Radiation Dose Across Large Integrated Health Care Systems
The National Quality Forum UCSF CT Radiation Dose Measure
1. Miglioretti DL, Johnson E, Williams A, Greenlee RT, Weinmann S, Solberg LI, Feigelson HS, Roblin D, Flynn MJ, Vanneman N,Smith-Bindman R. The Use of Computed Tomography in Pediatrics and the Associated Radiation Exposure and Estimated Cancer Risk. JAMA Pediatr. 2013 Jun 10:1-8.
2. Fazel R, Curtis J, Wang Y, Einstein AJ, Smith-Bindman R, Tsai TT, Chen J, Shah ND, Krumholz HM, Nallamothu BK. Determinants of fluoroscopy time for invasive coronary angiography and percutaneous coronary intervention: Insights from the NCDR. Distinguishing Screening From Diagnostic Mammograms Using Medicare Claims Data. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2013 May 22.
3. Fenton JJ, Zhu W, Balch S,Smith-Bindman R, Fishman P, Hubbard RA. Distinguishing Screening From Diagnostic Mammograms Using Medicare Claims Data. Med Care. 2012 Aug 23.
4. Fenton JJ, Zhu W, Balch S, Smith-Bindman R, Lindfors KK, Hubbard RA. External validation of Medicare claims codes for digital mammography and computer-aided detection. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2012 Aug;21(8):1344-7.
5. Smith-Bindman R, Miglioretti DL, Johnson E, et al. Use of diagnostic imaging studies and associated radiation exposure for patients enrolled in large integrated health care systems, 1996-2010. JAMA. 2012 Jun 13;307(22):2400-9.
6. Smith-Bindman R. Environmental causes of breast cancer and radiation from medical imaging: findings from the Institute of Medicine report. Arch Intern Med. 2012 Jul 9;172(13):1023-7
7. Bach PB, Mirkin JN, Oliver TK, Azzoli CG, Berry DA, Brawley OW, Byers T, Colditz GA, Gould MK, Jett JR, Sabichi AL, Smith-Bindman R, Wood DE, Qaseem A, Detterbeck FC. Benefits and harms of CT screening for lung cancer: a systematic review. JAMA. 2012 Jun 13;307(22):2418-29.
8. Goldman LE, Walker R, Miglioretti DL, Smith-Bindman R, Kerlikowske AK; Breast Cancer Surveillance Consortium. Facility characteristics do not explain higher false-positive rates in diagnostic mammography at facilities serving vulnerable women. Med Care. 2012 Mar;50(3):210-6.
9. Smith-Bindman R, Miglioretti DL. CTDIvol, DLP, and effective dose are excellent measures for use in CT quality improvement. Radiology. 2011 Dec;261(3):999; author reply 999-1000.
10. Rosenberg RD, Haneuse SJ, Geller BM, Buist DS, Miglioretti DL, Brenner RJ,Smith-Bindman R, Taplin SH; Breast Cancer Surveillance Consortium. Timeliness of follow-up after abnormal screening mammogram: variability of facilities. Radiology. 2011 Nov;261(2):404-13.
11. Miglioretti DL, Smith-Bindman R. Overuse of computed tomography and associated risks. Am Fam Physician. 2011 Jun 1;83(11):1252-4.
12. Westphalen AC, Koff WJ, Coakley FV, Muglia VF, Neuhaus JM, Marcus RT, Kurhanewicz J, Smith-Bindman R. Prostate cancer: prediction of biochemical failure after external-beam radiation therapy--Kattan nomogram and endorectal MR imaging estimation of tumor volume. Radiology. 2011 Nov;261(2):477-86. Epub 2011 Aug 24.
13. Rosenberg RD, Haneuse SJ, Geller BM, Buist DS, Miglioretti DL, Brenner RJ, Smith-Bindman R, Taplin SH; For the Breast Cancer Surveillance Consortium. Timeliness of Follow-up after Abnormal Screening Mammogram: Variability of Facilities. Radiology. 2011 Nov; 261 (2): 404-413. Epub 2011 Sep 7.
14. Westphalen AC, Koff WJ, Coakley FV, Muglia VF, Neuhaus JM, Marcus RT, Kurhanewicz J, Smith-Bindman R. Prostate Cancer: Prediction of Biochemical Failure after External-Beam Radiation Therapy--Kattan Nomogram and Endorectal MR Imaging Estimation of Tumor Volume. Radiology. 2011 Nov; 261(2): 477-86. Epub 2011 Aug 24.
15. Smith-Bindman R, McCulloch CE, Ding A, Quale C, Chu PW. Diagnostic imaging rates for head injury in the ED and states' medical malpractice tort reforms. Am J Emerg Med. 2011 Jul; 29 (6): 656-64. Epub 2010 Jul 13.
16. Mehta P, Smith-Bindman R. Airport full-body screening: what is the risk? Arch Intern Med. 2011 Jun 27; 171 (12): 1112-5. Epub 2011 Mar 28.
17. Miglioretti DL, Smith-Bindman R. Overuse of computed tomography and associated risks. Am Fam Physician. 2011 Jun 1; 83 (11): 1252-4.
18. Berrington de GonzÃ¡lez A, Kim KP, Knudsen AB, Lansdorp-Vogelaar I, Rutter CM, Smith-Bindman R, Yee J, Kuntz KM, van Ballegooijen M, Zauber AG, Berg CD. Radiation-related cancer risks from CT colonography screening: a risk-benefit analysis. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2011 Apr; 196 (4): 816-23.
19. Goldman LE, Walker R, Miglioretti DL, Smith-Bindman R, Kerlikowske K; National Cancer Institute Breast Cancer Surveillance Consortium. Accuracy of diagnostic mammography at facilities serving vulnerable women. Med Care. 2011 Jan; 49 (1): 67-75.
20. Berrington de Gonzalez A, Kim KP, Smith-Bindman R, McAreavey D. Myocardial perfusion scans: projected population cancer risks from current levels of use in the United States. Circulation. 2010 Dec 7; 122 (23): 2403-10. Epub 2010 Nov 22.