Leader, Medical Dosimetry Group, Medical Exposure Department, Centre for Radiation, Chemical and Environmental Hazards, Public Health England, UK
Dr Paul Shrimpton has been closely involved for more than 30 years in the development and promotion of patient dosimetry and protection in diagnostic radiology, both nationally and internationally, whilst working as a medical physicist at the UK Health Protection Agency (and its forerunner the National Radiological Protection Board). He has been instrumental in the periodic performance of UK national patient dose surveys and the formulation of reference doses for x-ray and computed tomography (CT) examinations. He has also participated actively in expert groups on aspects of medical exposures convened, for example, by the UK Department of Health, the European Commission, the United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation, the International Commission on Radiological Protection, the International Atomic Energy Agency and the World Health Organisation.
He has served on the Editorial Boards of several journals and has published widely in peer-reviewed journals, technical reports and conference proceedings. He has lectured on radiation protection training courses in, for example, the UK, Botswana, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Malaysia, Romania, Spain, Austria, Bulgaria and Greece.
Dr. Shrimpton's Lectures
Dose Assessment and Monitoring in CT- a UK Perspective
- Patient dose assessment in CT. P C Shrimpton. Invited presentation at European Congress of Radiology 2012, Vienna, 1-5 March 2012. ECR 2012 Book of Abstracts. Insights Imaging 3: Suppl 1. ppS114 (2012).
- Diagnostic reference levels (DRLs) in CT. PC Shrimpton(Consultant). Material published on IAEA Radiation Protection of Patients (RPoP) website (2012):https://rpop.iaea.org/RPOP/RPoP/Content/News/diagnostic-reference-levels-ct.htm.
- How to establish typical effective doses for x-ray procedures? P C Shrimpton. Invited presentation at Workshop on European Population Doses from Medical Exposure, Athens, 24-26 April 2012:http://ddmed.eu/workshop:programme.
- Doses to patients from radiographic and fluoroscopic x-ray imaging procedures in the UK- 2010 review. Hart D, Hiller MC and Shrimpton PC. Chilton, HPA-CRCE-034 (2012).
- UK national CT dose surveys. P C Shrimpton. Invited presentation at the Royal College of Radiologists Annual Scientific Meeting 2012, 11 September 2012, Barbican, London.
- Fourth review of the UK National Patient Dose Database. D Hart and PC Shrimpton. Br J Radiol, 85, e957-958 (2012).
- Effective dose and risks from medical x-ray procedures. M I Balonov and P C Shrimpton. Proceedings of the First ICRP Symposium on the International System of Radiological Protection, Bethesda MD, 24-26 October 2011. Annals of the ICRP, Vol 41, Nos 3-4, 129-141 (2012).
- Third UK national CT dose survey. P C Shrimpton. Invited presentation at the British Institute of Radiology meeting on 'Radiation Protection in CT', 6 November 2012, London.