Director of the Division of Cardiovascular Sciences at the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Michael Lauer, M.D., is Director of the Division of Cardiovascular Sciences at the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, where he leads the Institute's program for research on the causes, prevention, and treatment of cardiovascular diseases. He spent 14 years at Cleveland Clinic as Professor of Medicine, Epidemiology, and Biostatistics. He received education and training at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Albany Medical College, Harvard Medical School, Harvard School of Public Health, and the NHLBI's Framingham Heart Study. He has received numerous awards including the NIH Equal Employment Opportunity Award of the Year and the Arthur S. Flemming Award for Exceptional Federal Service.
Dr. Lauer's Lectures
Imaging: Our Evidence Gap Problem
Imaging: Our Downstream Procedures Problem
- Lauer MS. Responses to commentaries. Stat Med. 2012.
- Lauer MS. A policy for science. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012;59:2154-2156.
- Lauer MS. Lemons for Obesity. Ann Intern Med. 2012.
- Lauer MS. Advancing cardiovascular research. Chest. 2012;141:500-505.
- Lauer MS. Advancing the paradigm for cardiovascular imaging research. J Nucl Cardiol. 2012;19:5-8.
- Schwartz S, Lauer M, McNeil B, Tunis S, Diamond G, Silber J, Herzig A, Temple B, Lee J, Rhodes K, Morton S, Rotelli M. Panel discussion 1. Clin Trials. 2012;9:13-21.
- Sorlie PD, Bild DE, Lauer MS. Cardiovascular epidemiology in a changing world--challenges to investigators and the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Am J Epidemiol. 2012;175:597-601.
- Rader F, Costantini O, Jarrett C, Gorodeski EZ, Lauer MS, Blackstone EH. Quantitative electrocardiography for predicting postoperative atrial fibrillation after cardiac surgery. J Electrocardiol. 2011.
- Lauer MS, Hodes R. Epidemiology, comparative effectiveness research, and the National Institutes of Health: forces for health. Epidemiology. 2011;22:625-628.
- Lauer MS. Pseudodisease, the next great epidemic in coronary atherosclerosis?: comment on "Impact of coronary computed tomographic angiography results on patient and physician behavior in a low-risk population". Arch Intern Med. 2011;171:1268-1269.
- Lauer MS. Heart rate recovery: what now? J Intern Med. 2011;270:597-599.
- Lauer MS. What now with screening electrocardiography? Ann Intern Med. 2011;155:395-397.
- Lauer MS. Advancing the paradigm for cardiovascular imaging research. J Nucl Cardiol. 2011.
- Lauer MS. Cardiovascular science in the service of national strength. JAMA. 2011;306:2145-2146.
- 15. Lauer MS. Thought exercises on accountability and performance measures at the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI): an invited commentary for circulation research. Circ Res. 2011;108:405-409.