Corning Benton Endowed Chair for Radiology Education
Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
Marilyn J. Goske, M.D., is the Corning Benton Endowed Chair for Radiology Education, Professor of Radiology and Pediatrics at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine and staff radiologist at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Dr. Goske is a nationally-recognized pediatric radiologist focused on medical and web-based education in pediatric radiology. Her research focus, in addition to education is as Principle Investigator for the pediatric component of the American College of Radiology's Dose Index Registry that works to establish Diagnostic Reference Levels for Pediatric CT. Clinically, she has special expertise in ultrasound and gastrointestinal imaging.
She is the past Chair of the Board of Directors for the Society for Pediatric Radiology (SPR). As former president of SPR, she is the founder and chair of the national Image GentlyR campaign focusing on using child-sized imaging, rather than adult-sized, for children in the United States. This international campaign brings together over 70 organizations representing more than 800,000 imaging specialists who are involved in pediatrics, radiology, medical imaging physics and radiology technology, parents and the public.
Dr. Goske has written and presented extensively on subjects relating to professional standards of practice and is the current Chair of the Radiologic Society of North America's Professionalism committee. She is particularly interested in patient care and communication in radiology and has published in books, scientific journals and on-line publications. She currently is a reviewer for Radiology,Pediatric Radiology, Pediatrics and the American Journal of Roentgenology.
Dr. Goske earned a medical degree at the University of Connecticut School of Medicine in Farmington, Conn in 1977. She completed a residency in diagnostic radiology, served as chief resident and completed her fellowship in pediatric radiology at Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, N.Y., an affiliate of The University of Rochester.
Dr. Goske also completed a fellowship in medical education in 2005 at The Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine in Cleveland, Ohio. While at the Cleveland Clinic she and an associate developed a comprehensive Web-based pediatric radiology curriculum that is used by more than 200 radiology residency programs throughout the United States.
At the Society for Pediatric Radiology 55th Annual Meeting in April 2012, Dr. Goske received the Gold Medal. The SPR Gold Medal is awarded to pediatric radiologists who have contributed greatly to the SPR and our subspecialty of pediatric radiology as a scientist, teacher, personal mentor and leader. At the Radiologic Society of North America's 98th Annual Meeting she received the Outstanding Educator Award.
Dr. Goske's Lectures
Understanding the Special Needs of Children: Why Dose is so Important
Standards to Adopt Protocols at Your Facility
Image Quality Analysis and Dose Based on the QuIRCC Registry
Low Dose in Pediatrics and Communicating to Parents
- Goske MJ, Applegate KE, Boylan J, Butler PF, et al. Image Gently: A National Education And Communications Campaign in Radiology Using the Science of Social Marketing. Journal of the American College of Radiology (2008) 5(12):1200-1205.
- Bulas D, Goske MJ , Applegate KE, Wood BP (invited editorial). Image Gently: Improving Health Literacy for Parents about CT scans for Children. Pediatr Radiol. 2009 Feb; 39(2): 112-116. Epub 2008 Dec 16.
- Kim HK, Goske MJ, Bove KE, Minovich E. Segmental Testicular Infarction in an Adolescent Simulating a Testicular Tumor. Pediatr Radiol 2009 Apr; 39(4): 400-2. Epub 2009 Feb 12.
- Strauss KJ, Goske MJ, Frush D, et al( invited editorial) Image Gently Vendor Summit: Working Together for Better Estimates of Pediatric Radiation Dose from CT Scans. AJR AM J Roentgenol. 2009 May; 192(5): 1169-1175.
- Bulas D, Goske MJ , Applegate KE, Wood BP (invited editorial). Image Gently: Why We Should Talk to Parents about CT Imaging in Children. AJR AM J Roentgenol. 2009 May;192(5):1176-8.
- Brown S, Goske MJ, Johnson C. Beyond Substance Abuse: Stress, Burnout, Depression, and the Spectrum of Psychiatric Morbidity Among Physicians. JACR 2009 July; 6(7): 479-485. Selected as "Editor's Choice".
- Sidhu M, Coley B, Goske MJ et al. Image Gently, Step Lightly: Increasing Radiation Dose Awareness in Pediatric Interventional Radiology. Pediatr Radiol 2009 39(10):1135-8. Epub 2009 Aug 20.,
- Arnold RW, Goske MJ, Bulas DI, Benya EC, and Ying J. Pediatric Radiology as a Career Choice Among Radiology Residents: A National Survey from the SPR Workforce Taskforce. JACR 2009 Sept; 6(9):635-642.
- Goske MJ, Frush DP, Schauer DA. Image Gently campaign promotes radiation protection for children. Letter to the editor. Radiat Prot Dosimetry. 2009;135(4):276.
- Goske MJ, Bulas D. Improving Health Literacy: Informed Choice Rather Than Informed Consent for CT Scans in Children. (Invited Commentary) Pediatr Radiol. 2009 Sep; 39(9):901-3. Epub 2009 Jun 26.
- Sidhu M, Goske MJ, Coley B et al. Image Gently, Step Lightly: Increasing Radiation Dose Awareness in Pediatric Interventions through an International Social Marketing Campaign. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2009 Sept; 20(9): 1115-9.
- Strauss KJ, Butler PF, Goske MJ, Ritenour R. Image Gently: reducing radiation dose in pediatric computed tomography through collaboration. Med Phys. 2009 Dec; 36 (12):5719-20.
- Goske MJ, Applegate KE, Bell C et al. Image Gently: Providing Practical Educational Tools and Advocacy to Accelerate Radiation Protection for Children Worldwide. Invited commentary in Semin in Ultrasound, CT MRI. 2010 Jan; 31: 57-63.
- Goske MJ, Phillips RR, Mandel K, McLinden D, Racadio J, Hall S. A Web-Based Practice Quality Improvement Program in CT Safety for Children (Invited Paper). AJR. 2010 May;194(5):1177-82.
- Strauss KJ , Goske MJ , Kaste SC et al. Image Gently: Ten steps you can take to optimize image quality and lower CT dose for pediatric patients. AJR. 2010 Apr;194(4):868-73.
- Sidhu M, Strauss KJ, Connolly B, Yoshizumi TT, Racadio J, Coley BD, Utley T, Goske MJ. Radiation Safety in Pediatric Interventional Radiology. Tech Vasc Interventional Rad. 2010 Sep; 13(3):158-66.
- Sidhu M, Goske MJ, Connolly B et al. Image Gently, Step Lightly: Improving Quality and Safety in Pediatric Interventional Radiology through the Use of a Pre-Procedure Radiation Safety Checklist. (Invited paper) AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2010 Oct; 195(4):W299-301.
- Goske MJ, Applegate KE, Bulas D, et al on behalf of the Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging. Image Gently: Progress and Challenges in CT Education and Advocacy. Pediatr Radiol, 2011 Feb; 41(Suppl. 2):S461-6. DOI: 10.1007/s00247- 011-2133-0.
- Goske MJ. Getting It Right: Are Regulation and Registries for CT Radiation Dose in Children the Answer? Pediatr Radiol, 2011 February;41(Suppl. 2):S567 - 70. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00247-011-2105-4
- Goske MJ, Applegate KE, Butler PF, Frush DP, Morrison G, Strauss KJ. Image Gently: Partnerships to promote radiation protection for children worldwide. Pediatr Radiol (2011) 41 (Suppl 1): S207-209(not peer-reviewed).
- Brink JA, Goske MJ, Patti JA. Informed consent for radiologic procedures. Letter to the Editor. JAMA. 2011 Mar 2; 305(9):888-90.
- Don S, Goske MJ, John S, Whiting B, Willis CE. Image Gently pediatric digital radiography summit: executive summary. Pediatr Radiol. 2011 May;41(5):562-5. Epub 2011 Jan 21.
- Morrison G, John S, Goske MJ et al. Pediatric Digital Radiography Education for Radiologic Technologists- Current State. Pediatr Radiol. 2011 May; 41(5): 602-10. Epub 2011 Apr 14.
- Goske MJ, Charkot E, Herrmann T, John S, Mills T, Morrison G, Smith SN. Image Gently: Challenges for Radiologic Technologists When Performing Digital Radiography in Children Pediatr Radiol. Pediatr Radiol. 2011 May; 41(5) 611-19.
- Larson DB, Johnson LW, Schnell BM, Goske MJ, Salisbury SR, Forman HP. Increasing Utilization of CT in Children Visiting Emergency Departments in the United States, 1995-2007. Radiology. 2011 Jun;259(3):793-801. Epub 2011 Apr 5.
- Goske MJ, Applegate KE, Bulas D, et al. Approaches to promotion and implementation of action on radiation protection for children(Running Title: Radiation protection for children). Radiat Prot Dosimetry. 2011;147(1-2):137-141. Epub 2011 Jul 9.
- Newman B, John S, Goske MJ, Hernanz-Schulman. Pause and Pulse: Radiation Dose in Pediatric Fluoroscopy - What the Pediatrician Needs to Know. Accepted to Pediatrics in Review, Pediatr Rev. 2011 Sep;32(9):e83-90
- Hernanz-Schulman M, Goske MJ, Bercha IH, Strauss KJ. Pause and Pulse: Ten steps that help manage radiation dose during pediatric fluoroscopy. AJR Am J Roentgenol, 2011. 197(2): p. 475-81.
- Strauss KJ, Goske MJ. Estimated Pediatric Radiation Doses during CT. In press. ALARA CT supplement of Pediatric Radiology. Pediatr Radiol, 2011. 41 Suppl 2: p. 472-82.
- Brink JA, Goske MJ, Patti JA. Informed Decision Making Trumps Informed Consent for Medical Imaging with Ionizing Radiation. (invited commentary). Radiology, 2012. 262(1): p. 11-4.
- Goske MJ, Applegate KE, Rehani MM, Perez M. Large Scale Quality Improvement for Radiation Protection of Children Worldwide: Lessons from the Past Applied to the Present. (Invited paper). AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2012 May;198(5):992-5.
- Moore Q, Don S, Goske MJ,Strauss KJ, Cohen M et al. Image Gently: Using exposure indicators to improve pediatric digital radiography(invited paper). Radiol Technol. 2012 Sep;84(1):93-9.
- Goske MJ, Applegate K, Bulas D, Butler P, Callahan M, et al. Image GentlyÂ® Five Years Later: What goals remain to be accomplished in radiation protection for children? AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2012 Sep;199(3):477-9. doi: 10.2214/AJR.12.9655.
- Goske MJ, Straus KJ, Coombs LP, Mandel KE, Towbin AJ, Larson DB, Callahan MJ, Darge K, Podberesky DJ, Frush DP, Westra SJ, Prince JS. Diagnostic Reference Ranges for Pediatric Abdominal CT. Accepted to Radiology June, 2012.
- Larson DB, Wang LL, Podberesky DJ, Hall SM, Malarik RJ, Goske MJ. System for verifiably optimizing CT radiation dose based on patient size and desired image quality, enabling large-scale quality control. Part 2. Clinical application. Accepted to Radiology October, 2012.
- Don S, MacDougal R, Strauss, Moore Q, Goske MJ et al. Image Gently - Back to Basics: Ten steps to help manage radiation dose in pediatric digital radiography. Accepted to AJR October, 2012.
- Slovis TL, Frush DP,Goske MJ. An amazing accomplishment-CT manufacturers deserve our thanks. Pediatric Radiology, January, 2013 online
- Goske MJ, Applegate, KE, Frush DP, Hernanz Schulman M, Morrison G. Letter to the Editor- RE: Radiation exposure from CT scans in childhood and subsequent risk of leukaemia and brain tumours: a retrospective cohort study by Pearce MS, Salotti JA, Little MP, McHugh K, Lee C et al. Lancet Nov:380:1713-1790.
- Frush DP, Denham CR, Goske MJ, Brink JA, Morin RL, Mills TT, Butler, PF. Radiation Protection in Medical Imaging: A Journey from Awareness, through Accountability, Ability and Action... but What is the Destination? J Patient Safety Published online ahead of print Volume 8, 2012.