Associate Medical Director, Senior Investigator, and Director for Care Improvement Research
HealthPartners Medical Group
Leif I. Solberg, MD is a family physician who is currently Associate Medical Director for HealthPartners Medical Group and Clinics (an 800 physician multi-specialty group practice), senior staff for HealthPartners (an 850,000 member health plan), and Director for Care Improvement Research for HealthPartners Research Foundation in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He is also a clinical professor at the University of Minnesota Department of Family Medicine and Community Health and on the Board of Directors for the Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement (ICSI), a Minnesota collaborative for quality improvement that has become a national leader. He is internationally known for his research on organizational aspects of quality improvement and implementation, chronic disease care (including depression), and clinical preventive services delivery. He has published over 200 papers and books/book chapters in these areas and his main interest is in learning how to improve the quality of care provided in the primary care setting. Currently he is PI of a major National Institute of Mental Health-funded implementation study of a statewide initiative to improve primary care for patients with depression, has one of the first PCORI methods grants, and is part of the leadership team for an $18 million CMS Innovation Award to disseminate collaborative care for patients with both depression and chronic medical conditions
Dr. Solberg's Lectures
Using HTDI Decision Support in a Large Integrated Care System
- Miglioretti DL, Johnson E, Williams A, Greenlee RT, Weinmann S, Solberg LI, Feigelson HS, Roblin D, Flynn M, Vanneman N, Smith-Bindman R. Pediatric Computed Tomography and Associated Radiation Exposure and Estimated Cancer Risk. Arch Ped Adolesc Med (in press)
- Solberg LI, Vinz C, Trevis J. A Technology Solution for the High-Tech Diagnostic Imaging Conundrum. Am J Man Care 2012;18(8);421-425.
- Smith-Bindman R, Miglioretti DL, Johnson E, Lee C, Feigelson HS, Flynn M, Greenlee RT, Kruger RL, Hornbrook MC, Roblin D, Solberg LI, et al. Use of Diagnostic Imaging Studies and Associated Radiation Exposure for Patients Enrolled in Large Integrated Health Care Systems, 1996-2010. JAMA. Jun 13 2012;307(22):2400-2409
- Solberg LI, Asche SE, Fontaine P, Flottemesch TJ, Anderson LH. Trends in Quality during Medical Home Transformation. Ann Fam Med. Nov 2011;9(6):515-521
- Solberg LI, Glasgow RE, Unutzer J, Jaeckels N, Oftedahl G, Beck A, Maciosek MV, Crain AL. Partnership research: a practical trial design for evaluation of a natural experiment to improve depression care. Med Care 2010;48(7):576-582.
- Solberg LI, Wei F, Butler J, Palattao K, Vinz C, Marshall M. Effects of electronic decision support on high-tech diagnostic imaging orders and patients. Am J Man Care 2010;16(2):102-106
- Solberg LI, Asche SE, Sepucha K, Thygeson NM, Madden JE, Morrissey L, Kraemer KK, Anderson LH. Informed Choice Assistance for Women Making Uterine Fibroid Treatment Decisions: A Practical Clinical Trial. Med Decis Making 2010;30(4):444-52
- Solberg LI, Asche SE, Anderson LH, Sepucha K, Thygeson NM, Madden JE, Morrissey L, Kraemer, KK. Evaluating Preference-Sensitive Care for Uterine Fibroids: It's Not So Simple. J Womens Health (Larchmt) 2009;18(7):1071-1079
- Solberg LI, Asche SE, Shortell SM, Gillies RR, Taylor N, Pawlson LG, Scholle SH, Young MR. Is Integration in Large Medical Groups Associated with Quality? Am J Man Care 2009;15(6):e34-e41