Associate Professor of Radiology, Harvard Medical School; Assistant Medical Director, Imaging IT, Brigham and Women's Hospital; Director of Imaging Informatics, Director of Fellowship Programs, Center for Evidence-Based Imaging
Dr. Andriole has been involved in biomedical imaging informatics for over thirty years carrying out research, teaching and clinical service and administrative activities. She received a B.S.E. degree in Biomedical Engineering from Duke University and a Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering from Yale University. Dr. Andriole was a Postdoctoral Scholar in the Department of Radiological Sciences, Division of Medical Imaging at the University of California at Los Angeles School of Medicine, and a Fellow at the University of California at San Francisco (UCSF) School of Medicine, Department of Radiology. She was instrumental in designing, building and implementing picture archiving and communication systems (PACS) at UCSF, as well as one of the early adopters of computed radiography. She was an Associate Professor in the Department of Radiology at UCSF and in the Department of Bioengineering at the University of California at Berkeley where she taught biomedical imaging and informatics.
Dr. Andriole is currently an Associate Professor of Radiology at Harvard Medical School, the Assistant Medical Director of Imaging Information Technologies for the Department of Radiology at the Brigham and Women's Hospital (BWH), and the Director of Imaging Informatics at the Center for Evidence-Based Imaging where she is responsible for the research and educational activities in the Department of Radiology.
Dr. Andriole's research has involved both technical as well as clinically relevant translational developments. They include studies in the areas of medical imaging informatics, PACS, information technologies, and Digital Radiography. Dr. Andriole has directed student and postdoctoral research in medical imaging, and teaches several formal classes. She has given the British Institute of Radiology Honorary Mayneord Memorial Lecture at the United Kingdom Radiological Congress.
Dr. Andriole is currently an Associate Editor for the Journal of Digital Imaging. Dr. Andriole's other community service activities include contributions to numerous American College of Radiology technical guidelines and standards. She has been named to the Radiological Society of North America Radiology Informatics Committee, the American College of Radiology Information Technology and Informatics Committee, and has served as a charter member of the NIH Grant Review Study Section for the NIBIB Section on Biomedical Computing and Healthcare Informatics. Dr. Andriole was honored by being inducted into the Society of Imaging Informatics in Medicine (SIIM) College of Fellows.
Dr. Andriole's Lectures
Automated Electronic Medical Record (EMR) Dose History Extraction, Monitoring, and Use
- HK Huang, RK Taira, sl. Lou, KP Andriole, et al. Implementation of a Large-Scale Picture Archiving and Communication System. Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics, 17(1):1-11, 1993.
- HK Huang, KP Andriole, SL Lou, RL Arenson et al. Design and Implementation of a Picture Archiving and Communication System: The Second Time. Journal of Digital Imaging, 9(2):47-59, 1996.
- KP Andriole, RG Gould, DE Avrin, TM Bazzill, L Yin, and RL Arenson. Continuing Quality Improvement Procedures for a Clinical PACS. Journal of Digital Imaging, 11(3:1):111-114, August 1998.
- KP Andriole, DE Avrin, L Yin, RG Gould, and RL Arenson. PACS Databases and Enrichment of the Folder Manager Concept. Journal of Digital Imaging, 13(1):3-12, February 2000.
- R. L. Arenson, KP Andriole, D. E. Avrin, and R. G. Gould. Computers in Imaging and Health Care: Now and in the future. Journal of Digital Imaging, 13(4)145-156, November 2000.
- KP Andriole, D. E. Avrin, D. M. Luth et al. Automated Examination Notification of Emergency Department Images in a PACS. Journal of Digital Imaging, 14(2:1):143-145, May. 2001.
- Durack JC, Chao CC, Stevenson D, Andriole KP, Dev P. The Stanford MediaServer Project: strategies for building a flexible digital media platform to support biomedical education and research. Proc AMIA 2002:225-9.
- KP Andriole. Productivity and Cost Assessment of CR, DR and Screen-Film for Outpatient Chest Examinations. Journal of Digital Imaging, 15(3):161-169, Jan 2003.
- Eshan Samei, JA Seibert, KP Andriole, et al. General Guidelines for Purchasing and Acceptance Testing of PACS Equipment. Radiographics, 24:313-334, 2004.
- KP Andriole, RL Morin, RL Arenson, et al. Addressing the Coming Radiology Crisis: Transforming the Radiological Interpretation Process. J Digital Imaging, Online Nov 25, 2004, 17(4):235-243, Dec 2004.
- WM Tellis and KP Andriole. Integrating Multiple Clinical Information Systems Using the Java Message Service Framework to Enable the Delivery of Urgent Exam Results at the Point of Care. J of Digital Imaging 18(4) December 2005.
- LM Prevedello, KP Andriole, R Hanson, P Kelly, R Khorasani. Business Intelligence Tools for Radiology: Creating a Prototype Model Using Open-Source Tools. J.of Digital Imaging 2008, Online.
- LM Prevedello, KP Andriole, R Khorasani. Informatics in Radiology: Integration of the Medical Imaging Resource Center into a Teaching Hospital Network to Maintain Single Sign-on and Increase Password Security, Radiographics. 2009 Jul-Aug;29(4):973-9.
- AD Sodickson, PF Baeyens, KP Andriole, LM Prevedello, RD Nawfel, R Hanson, R Khorasani. Recurrent CT Imaging, Cumulative Radiation Exposure, and Associated Radiation-Induced Cancer Risks from CT of Adult Patients. Radiology, 251(1):175-84, 2009.
- KP Andriole, LM Prevedello, A Dufault, et al. Augmenting the Impact of Technology Adoption with Financial Incentive to Improve Radiology Report Signature Times. J Am College Radiology, In Press, 2010.