Acting Director, Quality Measurement and Health Assessment Group
Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services
Dr. Goodrich joined the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services in September of 2011 where she serves as Acting Director of the Quality Measurement and Health Assessment Group in the Center for Clinical Standards and Quality (CCSQ). In this role, she oversees the implementation of 8 quality measurement and public reporting programs and partners with other CMS components on 11 other programs. She co-leads a CMS-wide task force to align measures across programs and with the private sector as well as a companion HHS-wide committee. She also leads an agency wide council to coordinate and implement quality improvement activities and to develop the agency's strategy for quality improvement. Previously, Dr. Goodrich served as a Senior Advisor to the Director of CCSQ and the CMS Chief Medical Officer. From 2010 - 2011 she served as a Medical Officer in the office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation (ASPE) at DHHS where she managed a portfolio of work on comparative effectiveness research and quality measurement and improvement.
Dr. Goodrich is a graduate of the Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program at Yale University where she received training in health services research and health policy from 2008-2010. From 1998 to 2008, Dr. Goodrich was on faculty at the George Washington University Medical Center and served as Division Director for Hospital Medicine from 2005-2008. She continues to practice clinical medicine as a hospitalist and associate professor of medicine at George Washington University Hospital.
Dr. Goodrich's Lectures
CMS Policies on Quality Measurement and Radiation Safety
- Goodrich KH, Alvarez X, Holcombe RF. Effect of Levamisole on Major Histocompatibility Complex (MHC) Class I Expression in Colorectal and Breast Carcinoma Cell Lines. Cancer 71:225-230, 1993.
- Goodrich KH, Conway PH. Comparative Effectiveness Research: Implications for Hospitalists. Journal of Hospital Medicine. 5(5): 257-260, 2010.
- Peter K. Lindenauer MD, MSc, Sharon-Lise T. Normand PhD, Elizabeth E. Drye MD, SM, Zhenqiu Lin PhD,Katherine Goodrich MD, Mayur M. Desai PhD, MPH, Dale W. Bratzler DO, MPH, Walter J. O'Donnell MD, Mark L. Metersky MD, Harlan M. Krumholz MD, MSc. Development, validation, and results of a measure of 30-day readmission following hospitalization for pneumonia. Journal of Hospital Medicine Mar;6(3): 142-50 2011.
- Patrick H. Conway, Kate Goodrich, Benjamin Sasse, Steven Machlin, and Joel Cohen. Patient-Centered Care Categorization of U.S. Health Care Expenditures. Health Services Research 46(2):479-90, 2011.
- Kate Goodrich, MD MHS, Ione Austen, MLS, Kathel Dunn, Ph.D, Virginia Van Horne, MA, Lisa Lang, MPP. Understanding Comparative Effectiveness Research: the Controversies, the Challenges, the Opportunities for Health Science Librarians. Medical Librarians Association News, 52(1):1,8; January 2011.
- Goodrich KH, Krumholz HM, Conway PH, Lindenauer PK, Auerbach AD. Hospitalist Utilization and Hospital Performance on Six Publicly Reported Outcomes. Journal of Hospital Medicine Aug; 7(6): 482-488, 2012.
- Kate Goodrich, MD MHS, Edward Garcia, MHS, and Patrick Conway, MD MSc. A History of and Vision for CMS Quality Measurement Programs. In Press, The Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety, September 2012.
- Kate Goodrich, MD MHS and Patrick H. Conway, MD MSc. Affordable Care Act Implementation: Implications for Hospitalists. In Press, Journal of Hospital Medicine, 2013.