Associate Professor of Clinical Radiology and Neurosurgery, UCSF School of Medicine
Doctor Chin is Associate Professor of Clinical Radiology and Neurosurgery at the University of California at San Francisco (UCSF). Dr. Chin introduced and developed CT-guided spine injections at UCSF. She is the Director of UCSF Spinal Pain Management and was voted 2011 Best Doctors in America.
She is a member of many organizations including the American Roentgen Ray Society, American Society of Neuroradiology, and American Society of Spine Radiology. Dr. Chin is a peer reviewer for the American Journal of Neuroradiology, Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, Muscle and Nerve, and Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research.
Dr. Cynthia Chin is director of Spinal Pain Management at the UCSF Imaging Center at China Basin, and an expert in CT-guided spine injections to treat pain. She also has expertise in magnetic resonance neurography, and spinal and nerve diffusion imaging.
Dr. Chin continues to develop research in advanced imaging of the spine and nerves and the latest techniques in spine interventions for patient treatment. As a former member of the MRI Safety Committee and current member of the Radiation Safety Committee, Dr. Chin is dedicated to optimizing patient safety.
Specialty: Neuroradiology, Spine
Professional Interests: Spine, peripheral nerve, magnetic resonance neurography, spinal injections, spine diffusion imaging
Dr. Chin's Lectures
- CW O'Neill, JJ Liu, E Leibenberg, SS Hu, V Deviren, BK-B Tay, CT Chin, JC Lotz. Percutaneous plasma decompression alters cytokine expression in injured porcine intervertebral discs; Spine J. 2004 Jan-Feb;4(1):88-98.
- Lewis A, Layzer R, Barbaro N, Engstrom J, Chin CT. MR Neurography in Extraspinal Sciatica. Archives of Neurology 2006 Oct;63(10):1469-72.
- Du R, Auguste KI, Chin CT, Engstrom JW, Weinstein PR. "Magnetic Resonance Neurography for the Evaluation of Peripheral Nerve, Brachial Plexus, and Nerve Root Disorders" J Neurosurg. 2010 Feb;112(2):362-71.
- Diagnosing ulnar neuropathy at the elbow using magnetic resonance neurography. Keen NN, Chin CT, Engstrom JW, Saloner D, Steinbach LS. Skeletal Radiol. 2012 Apr;41(4):401-7.
- Shepherd TM, Hess CP, Chin CT, Gould R, Dillon WP. Reducing patient radiation dose during CT-guided procedures: demonstration in spinal injections for pain. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2011 Nov- Dec;32(10):1776-82. Epub 2011 Sep 15.
- Upadhyaya CD, Wu JC, Chin CT, Balamurali G, Mummaneni PV. Avoidance of wrong-level thoracic spine surgery: intraoperative localization with preoperative percutaneous fiducial screw placement. J Neurosurg Spine. 2012 Mar;16(3):280-4.