Chief of Neuroradiology, San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center
Associate Professor of Clinical Neuroradiology, University of California, San Francisco
Christopher Hess, MD, PhD, is an Associate Professor of Clinical Neuroradiology at University of California, San Francisco and he is Chief of Neuroradiology at the San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center. Dr. Hess completed his PhD in Electrical Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He received his medical degree from the University of Illinois in 2002, and completed his residency in Radiology from UCSF, followed by a fellowship in Neuroradiology from UCSF in 2008.
Dr. Hess' research interests are translational development of MRI methods and applications involving MRI methods that have various clinical problems in neuroradiology. His research on development and applications of advanced imaging techniques concentrates on diffusion MRI, fiber tractography, and ultra-high-field MRI. Dr. Hess' two primary focus areas are advanced imaging techniques and applications, specifically applications with disorders where traditional anatomic imaging has fallen short, and improving the imaging approaches to diagnosis and treat vascular anomalies.
Dr. Hess's research is funded by grants from the NIH, the University of California Discovery Program, and General Electric. He has 34 published articles and 3 book chapters as well as 5 significant publications.
Dr. Hess' Lectures
The Imaging Physician's Role in CT Protocol Design & Review
Select Recent Publications
- Tangtiphaiboontana J, Hess CP, Bayer M, Drolet BA, Nassif LM, Metry DW, Barkovich AJ, Frieden IJ, Fullerton HJ. Neurodevelopmental Abnormalities in Children With PHACE Syndrome. J Child Neurol 2012, in press.
- Shepherd TM, Hess CP+, Chin CT, Gould R, Dillon WP. Reducing patient radiation dose during CT-guided procedures: demonstration in spinal injections for pain. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 32: 1776-82, 2011.
- Hess CP, Mukherjee P, Barbaro NM. Editorial: Epileptic Foci. J Neurosurg 114: 1691-2, 2011.
- Adler, F Gupta N, Hess CP, Dowd CF, Dillon WP. Intraosseous cerebrospinal fluid fistula in a patient with Gorham's disease resulting in intracranial hypotension. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 32: E198-200, 2011.
- Koontz NA, Hess CP. AJR teaching file: brain tumor in a patient with familial adenomatous polyposis. AJR Am J Roentgenol 195: S25-28, 2010.
- Hess CP, Dillon WP. Imaging the pituitary and parasellar region. Neurosurg Clin N Am 23: 529-42, 2012.
- Hess CP, Barkovich AJ. Seizures: emergency neuroimaging. Neuroimaging Clin N Am 20: 619-37, 2010.
- Hess CP, Purcell DD. Brain: CT, MRI; Noninvasive imaging of the central nervous system. Google Knol Project, http://knol.google.com/k/brain-ct-mri (156898 pageviews, accessed September 22, 2011).