Vice Dean for Education, UCSF School of Medicine
Catherine R Lucey MD is the Vice Dean for Education at the UCSF School of Medicine, where she oversees undergraduate medical education, graduate medical education, continuing medical education, faculty development, educational research and instructional technology.
A graduate of the Honors Program in Medical Education at Northwestern University, Dr. Lucey completed her internship and residency in Internal Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco Medical Center. She then served as Chief Resident in Internal Medicine at the San Francisco General Hospital. Her career as a clinician educator has spanned 25 years and five different academic institutions.
Dr. Lucey began her educational leadership role as a residency program director at the Washington Hospital Center in Washington, D.C. She was recruited to The Ohio State University as Vice Chair for Education in the Department of Internal Medicine in 2002. She was promoted to Vice Dean for Education in the College of Medicine in 2007, assuming responsibility the continuum of medical education as well as for graduate student education and allied health education. In her last year at Ohio State, she served as Interim Dean for the College of Medicine. She was recruited to UCSF in 2011.
Dr. Lucey has received more than a dozen teaching awards in the last decade alone, including the American College of Physicians Master Teacher Award for Ohio. Upon her departure from Ohio State, the graduating student professionalism award was renamed in her honor.
Dr. Lucey is the immediate past Chair of the American Board of Internal Medicine and has served on the board for seven years. She is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians, and is a prior council member for the SGIM and the APDIM. She is a highly sought lecturer and has taught more than 100 workshops and seminars for professional medical organizations and teaching hospitals throughout the country on topics ranging from clinical problem solving, medical errors, professionalism and leadership. Her recent publications on professionalism have introduced a new paradigm for the teaching and evaluation of professional behavior in our changing health care environment.
Dr. Lucey's Lectures
American Board of Internal Medicine Foundation Choosing Wisely Campaign
- Farnett L, Mulrow CD, Linn WD, Lucey CR, Tuley MR. The J Curve phenomenon and the treatment of hypertension. Is there a point beyond which pressure reduction is dangerous? JAMA. 1991; 265(4):489-495.
- Blatt SP, Lucey CR, Butzin CA, Hendrix CW, Lucey DR. Total lymphocyte count as a predictor of absolute CD4+count and CD4+ percentage in HIV-infected persons. JAMA 1993; 269(5):622-626.
- Mulrow CD, Lucey CR, Farnett LE. Discriminating causes of dyspnea through clinical examination. J Gen Intern Med 1993; 8:383-391.
- Landry F, Pangaro L, Kroenke K, Herbers J,Lucey CR, Diemer M. A controlled trial of a seminar to improve medical student attitudes, knowledge and use of the medical literature. J Gen Intern Med 1994; 9(8):436-439.
- Marple RL, Kroenke K, Lucey CR, Wilder J, Lucas C. Concerns and expectations in patients presenting with physical complaints. Frequency, physician perceptions and actions, and 2 week outcomes. Archives of Internal Medicine 157 (13):1482-8, 1997 Jul 14.
- Badgett, RA, Lucey CR, Mulrow CD. Can the clinical examination diagnose left-sided heart failure in adults? JAMA. 277 (21):1712-9, 1997 Jun 4.
- Kroenke K, Omori DA, Landry F, Lucey CR. Bedside Teaching. Southern Medical Journal 90(11):1069-74, 1997 Nov.
- Lucey CR. Clinical Problem Solving -- where did good old clinical diagnosis go? [letter, comment on : N Engl J Med 1997 N Engl J Med 337(13):941, 1997 Sep 25.
- Gibbons RV, Landry FJ, Blouch DL, Jones DL, Williams FK, Lucey, CR, Kroenke, K. A comparison of physicians' and patients' attitudes toward pharmaceutical industry gifts. J Gen Intern Med 13(3):151-4, 1998, Mar.
- Lucey, CR. A Systematic Approach for Dealing with Residents with Problems. Program Manual. Association of Program Directors in Internal Medicine. Sixth edition. 2000
- Lucey CR, Cole CA. Update in General Medicine. Annals of Internal Medicine. 137(5 Part 1): 334-40, 2002 Sep 3.
- Lucey CR. Promotion for Clinician-educators. Time for a Fresh Approach? Journal of General Internal Medicine. 18(9):768-7, 2003 Sep 3.
- Lucey CR, Holmboe EM. A Systematic Approach for Dealing with Residents with Problems. Program Manual. Association of Program Directors in Internal Medicine. Seventh edition. 2005
- Lucey CR, Boote J. Legal Issues in Dealing with Residents. Program Manual. Association of Program Directors in Internal Medicine. Seventh edition. 2005
- Holmboe ES, Bowen JL, Green M, Gregg J, Di Francesco L, Reynolds E, Alguire P, Battinelli D, Lucey C, Duffy D. Reforming Internal Medicine Residency Training: A report from the Society of General Internal Medicine's Task Force for Residency Reform. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 20(12):1165-72, 2005 Dec.
- Lucarelli MR. Lucey CR. Mastronarde JG. Survey of current practices in fellowship orientation. Respiration. 74(4):382-6, 2007.
- Aueson AJ, Schaal SF, Kolibash AJ, Nagel R, Lucey CR, Lewis RP. Methods of teaching and evaluating electrocardiogram interpretation skills among cardiology fellowship programs in the United States. Journal of Electrocardiology. 42(4): 339-44, 2009.
- Lucey CR, Souba WW. The Problem with the Problem with Professionalism. Academic Medicine. 85(6):1018-1024, 2010.
- Lucey CR. Sedmak D, Notestine M, Souba WW. Rockstars in Academic Medicine. Academic Medicine. 85(8):1269-1275, 2010
- Clinchot DC, Lucey CR, Gabbe SG. The Ohio State University College of Medicine. Academic Medicine. 85(9):S450-S455, 2010.
- Lucey CR, Lipner R. Putting the Secure Exam to the Test. JAMA 304(12): 1379-1380, 2010.
- Lesser CS, Lucey CR, Egener B, Linus SK, Braddock C, Levinson W. A behavioral and systems view of professionalism. JAMA;304(24):2732-2737, 2010.
- Souba WW, Notestine M, Way DP, Lucey CR, Yu L, Sedmak D. Do Deans and Teaching Hospital CEOs Agree on What it Takes to Be a Successful Clinical Department Chair? Academic Medicine. 86(8):974-981, 2011.
- Wiley S, Way D, Lucey C. Sedmak D, Notestine M. Elephants in Academic Medicine. Academic Medicine. 86(12): 1492-1499, 2011.
- Medow MA, Lucey CR. A qualitative approach to Bayes' theorem. Evidence-Based Medicine; 16(6):163-167, 2011.