Professor of Medicine, Health Policy, Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Director of the University of California Medicaid Research Institute, and Director of the UCSF Primary Care Research Fellowship, University of California, San Francisco
Andy Bindman, M.D., is Professor of Medicine, Health Policy, Epidemiology & Biostatistics, at the University of California San Francisco (UCSF). He is Director of the University of California Medicaid Research Institute and Director of UCSF's Primary Care Research Fellowship. From 1995-2010 he served as the Chief of the Division of General Internal Medicine at San Francisco General Hospital where he helped the Division to become a nationally recognized leader in developing physicians and scholars caring for and improving the care for some of the nation's most vulnerable patients. He has practiced and taught at San Francisco General Hospital for over 20 years. Dr. Bindman has published more than 110 peer-reviewed scientific articles evaluating the impact of health policies on low-income patients' access to and quality of care. During 2009-2010, he was a Robert Wood Johnson Health Policy Fellow working with the US House of Representatives Energy and Commerce Committee chaired by Congressman Henry Waxman. In that role Dr. Bindman actively participated in the policy process that resulted in federal health reform through the passage of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
Dr. Bindman's Lectures
Health Reform and Its Impact on Radiology Practice
- Kronick R, Bindman AB. Protecting finances and improving access to care with Medicaid. N Engl J Med. 2013 May 2;368(18):1744-5.
- Bindman AB. The evolution of health services research. Health Serv Res. 2013 Apr;48(2 Pt 1):349-53.
- Bindman AB, Blum JD, Kronick R. Medicare's transitional care payment--a step toward the medical home. N Engl J Med. 2013 Feb 21;368(8):692-4.
- Gibbons DC, Bindman AB, Soljak MA, Millett C, Majeed A. Defining primary care sensitive conditions: a necessity for effective primary care delivery? J R Soc Med. 2012 Oct;105(10):422-8.
- Hall YN, Choi AI, Himmelfarb J, Chertow GM, Bindman AB. Homelessness and CKD: a cohort study. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2012 Jul;7(7):1094-102.
- Sommers BD, Bindman AB. New physicians, the Affordable Care Act, and the changing practice of medicine. JAMA. 2012 Apr 25;307(16):1697-8.